Apprenticeship – Track Operative Engineering – London Underground – Level 2 Job at Transport for London – London
Apprentice Standard : Rail engineering operative (level 2)
What Qualifications will I gain?
Level 2 Rail Engineering (Competence)
Level 2 Rail Engineering (Technical Knowledge)
Location – London
Duration – 2 years
Salary – £23,404
Keeping London Moving isn’t just about trains, and with our train’s travelling more than 70 million km per year, the condition of our track is of pivotal importance. London Underground’s track has to carry hundreds of trains over more than 402km across our entire network for 364 days per year.
Our Engineers focus on the assets that form the foundation of our transport system. The role of a London Underground engineering apprentice is critical to ensuring the ongoing performance and safety of our tube network. The technological advancements we are seeing in our trains and operating infrastructure mean that we need to adapt the way we maintain our assets to keep them operating at peak performance. You’ll be at the forefront of these developments whilst also keeping a watchful eye on our legacy assets across the network.
As a London Underground Track Apprentice, you will undertake regular placements across the network. Here, you will work alongside our highly skilled track engineers, learning how to maintain a key asset without which London Underground could not operate. London Underground’s track has to carry hundred’s of trains over more than 402km across our entire network for 364 days per year. Under constant supervision, and working as part of a team, you will learn and become proficient in the essential track maintenance skillset, enabling you to help contribute to the maintenance and fault repair of this pivotal function ensuring that an effective, efficient service remains continuous for London.
What will I be doing?
As an apprentice, your 2-year development programme will be made up of up to 4 or 5 placement rotations. Our aim is to equip you with the range of skills and experience you need for your successful career. We also understand that everyone’s career is different, so every apprentice’s journey is unique. Here’s an idea of what yours could look like:
Will be initially be spent completing Performing Engineering Operations (PEO):
· Mechanical Maintenance
· Electrical Maintenance
· Hand Skills
This will be followed by the following Training:
· Basic Track Awareness
· Track Induction
· Face Fit Training for Mask Wearers
· Track Plant Training
Placement 1 – Maintenance – Up to 3 Months
Placement 2 – Inspections – Up to 3 Months
You will rotate across different lines between Maintenance and Inspections for the duration of your Apprenticeship.
Your roles and responsibilities will include:
· To work as part of a track team in order to complete essential track maintenance under the supervision of a Site Person in Charge
· To assist the line inspection, staff in undertaking Safety Critical Inspections of the track
· To work safely at all times adhering to strict Safety Controls and Instructions given.
Where can this career take me?
· Upon successful completion of this scheme, you could roll-off into A Skilled Track Operative Role which could lead to further career development opportunities such as Track Inspector and Track Technician, as well as Site Person in Charge.
· You’ll also have opportunities to complete additional training courses. These will vary from soft skills training to technical skills training and Include Protecting Workers on the Track – Engineering Hours (PWT-EH) and T001
What training and support will you get?
You will be working towards a Level 2 qualification in Rail Engineering Operative
Typically, you will be required to attend College to complete the Knowledge part of your apprenticeship and this is typically Block Release in 2 to 4-week blocks.
Whilst on the scheme, we’ll support your technical development through a wide range of on-the-job practical experiences and placements. We’ll also support your professional development through a combination of classroom-led training courses, online training courses, mentoring opportunities and structured networking opportunities. You will receive one-to-one support throughout the programme from your scheme sponsor and your Line Manager. You’ll also be connected to a ‘buddy’ who will be a more experienced apprentice from the scheme.
What do we look for?
Everything we do as an organisation is to ensure that our evolving city remains future-proof for millions of Londoners. Our talented apprentices form a vital part of that vision, so it’s important that we find the best people to help us do this. We’re looking for people who are;
· Willingness to Learn
· Highly Motivated
As a member of the team, we’ll give you responsibility and the opportunity to add value. If you are excited by inspiring and influencing the future of London, then this is the career path for you.
· Annual Leave is pre-arranged to ensure timely completion of your apprenticeship. These are typically, Two Week Easter Break, Two Week Summer Break, One Week October and One week during the Christmas Period, plus Public Holidays.
· This apprenticeship will predominantly consist of night shifts when on placement but will also occasionally include day and weekend shifts.
· This role will include manual activity including heavy lifting and pushing equipment.
You should already hold or be working towards a minimum of 2 GCSE’s Grade 4 (C) or above (or equivalent) including Maths and English language.
You are not eligible for this scheme if you currently hold or are working towards a qualification at the same or higher level in a related subject or have already studied content from the qualification for this scheme.
Please note that you will be required to provide original certificates and/or predicted grades as proof for your eligibility checks.
You must be 18 years of age by 11 September 2023 to be eligible for this scheme.
Please be advised that should you be successful in getting an offer for this scheme, your offer will be subject to a satisfactory medical which may include but is not limited to: drugs and alcohol
Job Types: Full-time, Apprenticeship
Salary: From £23,404.00 per year
Ability to commute/relocate:
- London: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in London
Expected start date: 11/09/2023
About the Company
Company: Transport for London –
Company Location: London